Here at the Swan Surgery we have a fully equipped Operating Theatre that offers Scalpel Vasectomies for all Suffolk’s GP practices and Level 3 intermediate Minor surgery service for all West Suffolk GP practices. Not to mention Level 1 Core GP & level 2 Enhance GP procedures for our own registered patients.
Level 1 Core GP & 2 Enhance GP contract
At the Swan Surgery we have two doctors who carry out an enhanced minor surgery service for the removal of small benign skin lumps and bumps under 2cm (excluding skin cancers). These include lipomas, fibromas, pigmented skin lesions, swellings and perianal haematomas. Using local anaesthetic we offer electrocautery, curettage, aspiration and Cryotherapy (freezing with liquid nitrogen), as well as joint injections for a variety of conditions. It is necessary to consult with your doctor first for assessment and then the necessary treatment can then be arranged. Dr Silk and Dr Neale typically offer a small clinic once a month.
Level 3 intermediate Minor Surgery
The Swan Surgery provides a well-established intermediate minor surgery service for larger benign lumps and bumps. We can accept patients with larger skin lesion typically more than 2cm but less than 10cm in diameter or patients with complications which would prevent this being undertaken in level 1&2, not to forget cosmetically sensitive areas like the face and neck. These lesions can consist of keloid scaring, cysts, foreign bodies, lipomas, naevus, dermafibroma’s, seborrheic keratosis and papilloma’s (excluding any suspected skin cancers). We organise external experienced surgeons to come in, supported by our Theatre Nursing team to perform these procedures. The removal of these are carried out under local anaesthetic and Patients must be over 16 years old. In order to be referred to us for Minor Surgery please speak to your GP and if all criteria is met they will be able to refer you to us. We accept referrals from practices in Suffolk and North East Essex (SNEE).
A Vasectomy is a method of male sterilisation and should be considered as a permanent form of contraception. We organise for external experienced surgeons to come in, supported by our Theatre Nursing team, to perform these procedures using the scalpel method. These are carried out under local anaesthetic with the operation taking between 15-20 minutes and usually a 2-7 days recovery period. We accept Vasectomy referrals from all Suffolk and North East Essex (SNEE) GP Practices. In order to be referred to us for a Vasectomy please consult your GP and if you meet all the criteria they will be able to refer you to us.
- Level 3 – Dr Arbide is a GP with special interest working exclusively in NHS minor surgery, dermatology and vasectomy, with 25 years of minor surgery experience. Council member of the Association of Surgeons in Primary Care.
- Level 3 – Mr Kumar is senior general and breast surgeon at the West Suffolk Hospital practicing for 21 years.
- Mr Riddick is a senior consultant urological surgeon who has been performing vasectomies in NHS minor surgery units for 25 years, initially in East Suffolk, then Lothian NHS (Lead for the vasectomy service) and now back in West Suffolk.
- Mr Armitage is an experienced consultant urological surgeon at Addenbrooke’s Hospital. He has been involved with providing the vasectomy service at the Swan surgery since 2019
- Level 1 & 2 – Dr Silk is a GP with special interest in minor surgery and dermatology. His scope of work includes the removal of skin lesions, cysts and lipomas.
- Level 1 & 2 – Dr Neale is a GP Partner at Swan and Forest Surgeries, he has a special interest in minor surgery and dermatology.
The team is complimented by a dedicated team of nurses and health care assistants who are patient centred and highly skilled in community surgical work. The administrative team is efficient and responsive.
We are situated in Bury St Edmunds just half a mile off the A14 with good public transportation links. We have ample onsite free parking and disabled parking with an excellent purpose-built facility.